I know May is quickly coming to a close but I can’t let it end without acknowledging that it is skin cancer awareness month. Did you know that your skin is your largest organ and that it requires care and upkeep just like your internal organs? Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer and each year more than 2 MILLION people are diagnosed in the UNITED STATES. If you head over to the Skin Cancer Foundation some of the statistics will shock you. Here are some of the most staggering facts:
- Over the past three decades, more people have had skin cancer than all other cancers combined.
- One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime
- One person dies of melanoma every hour
- Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is the most common skin cancer among African Americans and Asian Indians.
- Late-stage melanoma diagnoses are more prevalent among minority patients than Caucasian patients; 52 percent of non-Hispanic black patients and 26 percent of Hispanic patients receive an initial diagnosis of advanced stage melanoma, versus 16 percent of non-Hispanic white patients (It also is more fatal because of the late diagnosis)
I don’t know about you but this makes me want to bathe in sunscreen!!!! These facts are staggering and there are preventative measures you can take. Let’s start with sunscreen.
While researching this article I came across some interesting articles about ingredients. When selecting a sunscreen you want to look for titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide as active ingredients. While I’m not a doctor or part of the FDA there have been several warnings against oxybenzone as an active ingredient. In some instances ozybenzone has been linked to hormone disruption and cell damage that can lead to cancer. Unfortunately it’s a popular ingredient in many products. Some products without it are Coola and Neutrogena’s Pure and Free. Be sure that whatever product you buy that it is broad spectrum and it will protect you from both UVA and UVB rays which both cause skin cancer.
Many companies have powder and liquid foundations that have some level of SPF in it. However, according to Miami dermatologist Leslie Baumann it may not be wise to rely solely on these products for your SPF needs. According to Baumann you would have to apply 14 times the normal amount of your product in order to get the SPF listed on the bottle. There are oil free and non comedogenic broad spectrum sunscreen products that will not cause your skin to break out.
Be sure to protect your lips as well! After all it is covered with skin! Instead of using a lip gloss try a tinted lip balm of course with an SPF in it. Did you know that shiny glosses will reflect the sunlight which in turn can lead to an increased risk of a burn? The more you know!!!
Stay tuned to this series as we will cover cool ways to stay protected, what signs to look for on your body and will have a skin cancer survivor’s story!!!
My pretty new tote
If you’re a total beauty product junkie like me then you know the 3 words no one can resist: gift with purchase! GWP are amazing because for the price of a few beauty items, you get more! So I may be a little biased because I love my counter manager at the Macy’s near me so when she calls I have to answer.
This spring gift is great because you get a pretty tote in blue or red. I got the blue tote because the red looked like a pinky red and it just wasn’t my fave. I love that the tote doesn’t have the Lacome logo everywhere. I am just not a huge fan of bags that have the name brand everywhere. Have I always been this way? No but I learned from the error of my ways lol!
This lovely gift can be yours with any $35 or more Lancome purchase. I bought the Star Bronzer Intense which was exactly $35! The bronzer is perfect for the upcoming summer months to keep my skin glowing. Now that I got my product and my bag picked out I had to actually pick out my gifts!!!!
You get to choose a daytime moisturizer and corresponding eye cream. I chose the High Resolution Refill-3X which fights wrinkles. Now that my 20′s are gone I have to start thinking about my future! I then got to choose a makeup product. There were two different 5 shadow palettes and two juicy tubes to choose from. I went with the Blush Sweetness Color Design Palette because of the pinks and gold toned colors go great with my new bronzer. You also get a trial size of the Bi-Facil Eye Makeup Remover and the Hypnose Drama Mascara.
I’m excited for my new products!!
I can’t wait to post my new bronzy look!
The weekend really seems to fly especially when you work it. This past weekend I was able to do makeup for 3 different women for 3 different boudoir sessions. If you’ve never had a boudoir session done you are missing out!!! They are a way to really make you look and feel great and of course sexy!
One of the things I love most about my job is that I get to help inner beauty radiate outward. There is no greater achievement for me than making my current client feel like a superstar. Some women have never been told how beautiful they truly are and that is tragic.
The greatest and most nerve racking moment in a MUA’s job is the “reveal”. You never know what kind of reaction you will get!! Each of my 3 clients were blown away! I may even have a wedding job to come out of it! This weekend ended on a high note and I believe I have impacted each of those ladies in a positive way and that ladies and gentlemen is why I love my job.
I am the type of person who loves bright crazy nails!!! Being an esthetician I have to keep mine natural and pretty short so I don’t scratch anyone but I admire stiletto nails and other trends. One thing I had not ever done was a neutral color polish. I used to think it was a boring thing that only conservative women wear. Boy was I wrong.
Going through one of my many monthly beauty mag subscriptions I came across some various nail trends. One thing that people are doing more of is the classic demure nude nail. So being a beauty blogger, I decided to try it out. There are two colors in the OPI 2014 Brazil Collection; Don’t Bossa Nova Me Around and Taupe-less Beach. I opted for the latter because the first one was sold out.
I must say I’m very happy with the color. It’s not so nude that it looks washed out but not too dark either. It’s a great spring/summer color for hands and toes! I also have Toucan Do It If You Try (seriously who thinks of these names!) which is a really pretty coral/orange that looks amazing as well. I am in love with this whole collection! The polish retails for $9.00 and can be found at Ulta!
So I don’t know how the weather has been where you’re at but here it’s been kinda rainy these past few days. It will also be sandal season as soon as this all clears up so why not give yourself a little pedi love??!!!
What if I told you that you to can get salon like results at home? Well a few little tricks can help you get just that!
OMG the miracle worker for feet
- Be sure to gather everything you need. There’s nothing worst than having to get up to get something.
- Soak. Let your feet soften up a bit in some nice warm water. Add in some foot salts for cleansing
- Use a scrub. You can make one or buy one. This just helps slough off some of the dead skin. Feel free to use your pumice stone to help remove dead skin.
- Remove the calluses. Ahhh the dreaded callus. This is the biggest problem we run into with our feet. It’s even worst if you do a lot of standing or activity while on your feet. I use this stuff called Callus Eliminator and its amazing! To boost the effectiveness put it all over your feet especially in the heels and the balls of the feet and then wrap your feet in saran wrap. I picked this trick up on my last trip to New York City and it works. It keeps the Callus Eliminator in place to soften the skin where it needs it most. Let it sit for a few minutes then rinse and use your pumice stone and/or foot file to really remove the calluses.
- Massage Aaaahhhhh. Ok so giving yourself a massage isn’t the most relaxing thing to do but it still feels good! Use a cream or coconut oil to put the moisture back in. You can even get the cooling gel that many salons use to further soothe those achy legs.
Everything else from here is pretty self explanatory. You can paint your toes or not! I did this today while watching CSI Miami reruns and my feet are thanking me for it. To keep your salon like results up at home keep your pumice stone handy and every other day or so just go over your feet. This process is great if your nail tech is booked and you really need a pedi or if you just want to relax! Enjoy Beauties!!!
OK Don’t judge. It’s not the best angle but you get the point!
Have you heard the rave reviews of Coconut Oil? There are so many people who absolutely swear by this stuff so I had to check it out for myself. You know I am always skeptical of “miracle products” and I question whether a product really lives up to its hype.
Each jar is around $7 and you can get it at the grocery store. Visit www.nianoelle.com to read my full review and see if coconut oil gets rated Fab or Fad!
My friends and family always turn to me when they have questions about beauty. They ask about the best products and procedures. And now you can too! No question is too big or too small! Don’t be shy!!
When it comes to waxing down there many women get shy and understandably so. So many people ask me what getting a Brazilian wax is like. I’m always truthful. It does not feel that great but it’s not the worst pain in the world and the pain is over pretty quick. Here’s a quick checklist I always give to everyone who gets one:
1. Prep yourself. Take a pain reliever up to an hour before the service. Some people feel this helps cut down on how much pain you experience during the wax.
2. Ask your waxer if they have a numbing agent. There are so many numbing creams that work well and start working in a matter of minutes.
3. Pull. Tight. Your waxer will put you in various positions to make hair removal easier. Pull your skin as taught as possible as this alleviates the pain and reduces the risk of tearing your skin.
4. Get the Backside done. As in your rear. Just trust me it’s worth it!
5. Take care of the results. One thing I always try to stress to my friends and client alike is the importance of aftercare. If you want to reduce the chance of getting ingrowns follow all post care instructions. Use TendSkin or Finipil. They are great at keeping your Brazilian wax free from ingrowns and breakouts.
6. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. That’s what we are here for!!!! I am never offended if a client has a question about a service they are going to receive. I will let you know what kind of wax I use and why I’m using a certain technique. It’s a major red flag if your esthtetician is unwilling to answer your questions. You are the client and you kinda help pay our bills!!! We want to keep you happy!
7. Keep getting them done. Period. You can adjust how much hair you want or if you want a landing strip instead of a triangle with each appointment. However, you will get the best results if you keep getting them done. The hair will grow back finer, each wax will get easier and you will look forward to your next waxing appointment.
To submit your question please fill out the form on the contact us page. All questions will remain anonymous.