I don’t know about you guys but last night I watched the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show which was taped in London a few weeks ago. This year I was more excited than ever because of the media frenzy leading up to the taping. All of the major mags shared pictures aboard the chartered flight to London which made all of us majorly jealous. They were greeted by VS blankets and swag bags and there was a cute pink carpet on the runway.
This years show certainly didn’t disappoint. The visuals were even more stunning, the wings were larger and the entertainment was superb. But of course I was paying attention to the makeup. According to key makeup artist Dick Page this year’s show was less focused on bronzed beauty and focused instead on a glow from within. He used minimal foundation, made sure skin was properly hydrated and that he actually used a red cream color by Kryolan to create a healthy flush in the cheek and nose area.
So angels, you too can get that lit from within glow using just a few key items.
I’m a VS Angel!
Tinted Moisturizer. I used one from NYX which helped me hydrate my skin and give me just enough coverage to even my skin tone.
Rosy Blush. Dick Page used a Kryolan color which is popular in theatrical makeup. However, you can get a nice flush from Benetint by Benefit. It’s a red cheek stain and looks great on multiple skin tones and can be layered for added effect.
Taupe eye shadow works well on all skin tones and adds definition but still looks very natural. Try the Hefner Eye Shadow by Love, Beauty Cosmetics. For my look I also layered brown and black eye liner and topped it with a Rimmel mascara.
Pink Lips. This was the theme of last night. Some pinks were soft and innocent while others were bold and brazen but they never strayed. For this look I used Honey Lust Lipstick by Love, Beauty Cosmetics and mixed it with Paint Job Lip Gloss also by Love, Beauty Cosmetics. There are also other soft pink options like Ballet Slipper and Mingle all by Love, Beauty Cosmetics.
I know May is quickly coming to a close but I can’t let it end without acknowledging that it is skin cancer awareness month. Did you know that your skin is your largest organ and that it requires care and upkeep just like your internal organs? Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer and each year more than 2 MILLION people are diagnosed in the UNITED STATES. If you head over to the Skin Cancer Foundation some of the statistics will shock you. Here are some of the most staggering facts:
Over the past three decades, more people have had skin cancer than all other cancers combined.
One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime
One person dies of melanoma every hour
Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is the most common skin cancer among African Americans and Asian Indians.
Late-stage melanoma diagnoses are more prevalent among minority patients than Caucasian patients; 52 percent of non-Hispanic black patients and 26 percent of Hispanic patients receive an initial diagnosis of advanced stage melanoma, versus 16 percent of non-Hispanic white patients (It also is more fatal because of the late diagnosis)
I don’t know about you but this makes me want to bathe in sunscreen!!!! These facts are staggering and there are preventative measures you can take. Let’s start with sunscreen.
While researching this article I came across some interesting articles about ingredients. When selecting a sunscreen you want to look for titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide as active ingredients. While I’m not a doctor or part of the FDA there have been several warnings against oxybenzone as an active ingredient. In some instances ozybenzone has been linked to hormone disruption and cell damage that can lead to cancer. Unfortunately it’s a popular ingredient in many products. Some products without it are Coola and Neutrogena’s Pure and Free. Be sure that whatever product you buy that it is broad spectrum and it will protect you from both UVA and UVB rays which both cause skin cancer.
Many companies have powder and liquid foundations that have some level of SPF in it. However, according to Miami dermatologist Leslie Baumann it may not be wise to rely solely on these products for your SPF needs. According to Baumann you would have to apply 14 times the normal amount of your product in order to get the SPF listed on the bottle. There are oil free and non comedogenic broad spectrum sunscreen products that will not cause your skin to break out.
Be sure to protect your lips as well! After all it is covered with skin! Instead of using a lip gloss try a tinted lip balm of course with an SPF in it. Did you know that shiny glosses will reflect the sunlight which in turn can lead to an increased risk of a burn? The more you know!!!
Stay tuned to this series as we will cover cool ways to stay protected, what signs to look for on your body and will have a skin cancer survivor’s story!!!
Imagine that you’ve won a trip to a tropical island but you had to leave in the next few hours. Aside from getting your clothes and shoes together you have to figure out what of your beauty products you are going to take. This can be such a task with all the shadows and lipsticks and such that are out there. I mean it’s imperative that you have everything you need right??!! But let’s just say that you don’t have enough time to fully plan out your looks. This could be a huge issue! Or is it? Really there are only 6 things I really need when it comes to my makeup routine. Everything else is just an added bonus.
1. Facial Cleansing Wipes.It’s sticky and muggy on this island. The humidity alone will keep your skin moistened. I would use the face wipes in the morning and again at night to cleanse my skin of oil and makeup. This way you don’t run into any extra breakouts because who needs that on vacay? I’ve been using Almay oil free wipes.
2. Oil Free Moisturizer with SPF. Need I say more? It’s an absolute must have item. You can’t be outside in the sun with no protection. It greatly reduces your risk for skin cancer and besides the sun will quickly age your skin. Nobody wants to look older than they are. Pictured is the High Resolution Refill 3X by Lancome.
3. Concealer. A little goes a long way. Only use it where needed so you don’t have to later your face up with foundation. Plus you don’t want to have a cake face on the island! I swear by Milani’s Secret Cover Concealer which provides amazing coverage at an amazing price!
4. Eyebrow Pencil/Powder. Whichever one you use! Brows frame your face and so never leave home without them. I love Anastasia’s Brow Wiz but lately I’ve been using Chanel.
5. Black Eyeliner.I like to line my inner rims to give my eyes definition. If you smudge your liner you can also give yourself a smokey eye that’s quick and easy to do. I got this Stila liner in a makeup kit from Ulta not too long ago and I love it!
6. Mascara.Just like brows I never leave home without it. It’s amazing what having lashes can do for your eyes. Lancome’s Hypnose Drama mascara is great for pumping up those lashes.
Bonus: Ok because I totally forgot about this but a lipstick that can double as a blush. Besides everyone has a tube of lipstick already in her purse!
#488398487 / gettyimages.com I don’t know how it happens but somehow the Met Gala sneaks up on me every year! For those not familiar, the Met Gala is an annual fundraiser which benefits the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute. … Continue reading →
So I don’t know how the weather has been where you’re at but here it’s been kinda rainy these past few days. It will also be sandal season as soon as this all clears up so why not give yourself a little pedi love??!!!
What if I told you that you to can get salon like results at home? Well a few little tricks can help you get just that!
OMG the miracle worker for feet
Be sure to gather everything you need.There’s nothing worst than having to get up to get something.
Soak. Let your feet soften up a bit in some nice warm water. Add in some foot salts for cleansing
Use a scrub. You can make one or buy one. This just helps slough off some of the dead skin. Feel free to use your pumice stone to help remove dead skin.
Remove the calluses. Ahhh the dreaded callus. This is the biggest problem we run into with our feet. It’s even worst if you do a lot of standing or activity while on your feet. I use this stuff called Callus Eliminator and its amazing! To boost the effectiveness put it all over your feet especially in the heels and the balls of the feet and then wrap your feet in saran wrap. I picked this trick up on my last trip to New York City and it works. It keeps the Callus Eliminator in place to soften the skin where it needs it most. Let it sit for a few minutes then rinse and use your pumice stone and/or foot file to really remove the calluses.
Massage Aaaahhhhh.Ok so giving yourself a massage isn’t the most relaxing thing to do but it still feels good! Use a cream or coconut oil to put the moisture back in. You can even get the cooling gel that many salons use to further soothe those achy legs.
Everything else from here is pretty self explanatory. You can paint your toes or not! I did this today while watching CSI Miami reruns and my feet are thanking me for it. To keep your salon like results up at home keep your pumice stone handy and every other day or so just go over your feet. This process is great if your nail tech is booked and you really need a pedi or if you just want to relax! Enjoy Beauties!!!
OK Don’t judge. It’s not the best angle but you get the point!
My friends and family always turn to me when they have questions about beauty. They ask about the best products and procedures. And now you can too! No question is too big or too small! Don’t be shy!!
When it comes to waxing down there many women get shy and understandably so. So many people ask me what getting a Brazilian wax is like. I’m always truthful. It does not feel that great but it’s not the worst pain in the world and the pain is over pretty quick. Here’s a quick checklist I always give to everyone who gets one:
1. Prep yourself. Take a pain reliever up to an hour before the service. Some people feel this helps cut down on how much pain you experience during the wax.
2. Ask your waxer if they have a numbing agent. There are so many numbing creams that work well and start working in a matter of minutes.
3. Pull. Tight. Your waxer will put you in various positions to make hair removal easier. Pull your skin as taught as possible as this alleviates the pain and reduces the risk of tearing your skin.
4. Get the Backside done. As in your rear. Just trust me it’s worth it!
5. Take care of the results. One thing I always try to stress to my friends and client alike is the importance of aftercare. If you want to reduce the chance of getting ingrowns follow all post care instructions. Use TendSkin or Finipil. They are great at keeping your Brazilian wax free from ingrowns and breakouts.
6. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. That’s what we are here for!!!! I am never offended if a client has a question about a service they are going to receive. I will let you know what kind of wax I use and why I’m using a certain technique. It’s a major red flag if your esthtetician is unwilling to answer your questions. You are the client and you kinda help pay our bills!!! We want to keep you happy!
7. Keep getting them done. Period. You can adjust how much hair you want or if you want a landing strip instead of a triangle with each appointment. However, you will get the best results if you keep getting them done. The hair will grow back finer, each wax will get easier and you will look forward to your next waxing appointment.
To submit your question please fill out the form on the contact us page. All questions will remain anonymous.
Hi there and welcome to The Love Beauty Project!!! I had the chance of trying out the new long lasting lip colors from Too Faced!! They join the ranks of Makeup Forever, Stila, Cover Girl and more in the world of lip colors that last. They’ve got some vibrant colors that are perfect for the spring and summer. I had such a hard time picking out just one!
Too Faced’s Melted lip colors are packaged in a tube that is angled. It’s almost like a lip gloss tube. The design helps make sure the color goes on in the places that you want. It feels much like a gloss and is designed to be a stain, gloss, and lip stick in one.
When I put it on it definitely felt like a gloss. In fact I had to blot some down!!! The color payoff was phenomenal. I love how vibrant and pigmented the colors are. What you see is truly what you get. I got the most compliments from the Melted Fuchsia and Melted Violet.
Too Faced’s Melted Lipcolors L-R Melted Fuchsia, Melted Coral, Melted Violet and Melted Peony
After a little while the color was still vibrant but the glossy feeling wore off. Now this is great news for my girls who love lip color but not gloss. However, for myself and others with dry lips, it’s not so great. I had to put on gloss which took away from the impact of the original color. I also found that after any meal, the color didn’t last. I think this questions the credibility of long lasting. I have used other brands that will last through a meal and definitely longer than 5 hours without having to re apply.
Overall the best thing going is the color. The payoff is great. However it’s not long lasting as it claims. It definitely won’t make it through a meal. For the price ($21) there are other brands that last longer and are still hydrating to lips. In my opinion this product is a FAD and I don’t think I would repurchase it. This doesn’t take away the fact that I still love the colors.